Civic engagement is one of the keystones of fraternity and sorority experience. Members are empowered to make a positive impact on the community, and develop and understanding of civic responsibility through the process of serving others. In the past year, UCSB fraternities and sororities spent more than 10,000 hours giving back to the Santa Barbara, Isla Vista and Goleta communities. As part of the Standards of Excellence program, the Office of Student Life requires each fraternity or sorority member to complete a minimum of 6 hours of community service per quarter.
Chapters are required to submit the following items documenting their members' community service and philanthropy achievements each quarter:
- Community Service Report Summary - emailed to the chapter's Community Service Chair quarterly for completion
- Chapter Member Verification Form - completed by each member every quarter to summarize and verify all community service hours completed
- Philanthropy Report Form - detailing the amount of money raised by the chapter through philanthropic activities and fundraising for charity.
To access the Community Service Report Submission Guidelines
, please click HERE.
Community Service Opportunities (Spring 2017)
- Dos Pueblos Little League Challengers Division, ongoing opportunity.
- The Dos Pueblos Little League Challengers Division was established in 2004 to provide a fun, supportive environment for kids ages 5 (by May 1st) through age 22 (and still in high school) with physical, developmental and/or intellectual challenges at all levels to play baseball and socialize. The league is looking for fraternity and sorority members to volunteer 3-4 times during the season (3/11/17 - 5/20/17 on Saturdays from 10-11:30am at Girsh Park). Please contact Eric Hancey for more information - email@example.com.
- Santa Barbara Rape Crisis Center, email SAAM@sbrcc.net
- Santa Barbara Rape Crisis Center is seeking volunteers to help plan and facilitate two events during Sexual Assault Awareness Month (April). Volunteers are needed for the Day of the Event (assist with the event and volunteer 3-5 hours day of), Saturday, April 22nd from 10am - 2pm. For more information on the different and various volunteer roles, please send an email to SAAM@sbrcc.net with your name, phone number, email, event you're interested in and volunteer position you are seeking.
- GIVE Sale, ongoing opportunity.
- Since 1990, GIVE has accepted donations of unwanted and reusable clothing, books, furniture, household furnishings, kitchenware, canned and packaged foods, and miscellaneous items during Isla Vista and UCSB’s annual move-out time in June. The donations are sold at a giant sale and the proceeds benefit organizations and projects that improve the quality of life in Isla Vista. Each year over 150 volunteers (UCSB students and local community) receive, organize, and sort all donations in preparation for a huge GIVE sale. One hundred percent of the proceeds are distributed to Isla Vista non-profits and projects that benefit the Isla Vista community. If you or your organization is interested in volunteering to help with promotion of the sale during Spring Quarter 2017 or with the sale in June 2017, please contact Viviana Marsano for more information.
- 2017 Gaucho Kids Festival Request, Saturday, April 29, 2017
- We would love for your student organization to participate in our 3rd annual Gaucho Kids Festival during All Gaucho Reunion! We are looking for groups to provide hands-on cultural activities for kids ages 4-16, including: cultural and STEM engagement, arts & crafts, music & dance, sports & games, and food items.The event runs from 10am - 12pm. Setup begins at 9:30am.Contact Leslie Brodbeck (firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-893-3123) to volunteer.
- Santa Barbara Birth Center 5k Run/Walk & Wellness Fair, Saturday, May 6, 2017
We are looking for volunteers to help with various jobs on that day including set up, break down, helping and cheering along the race course (Shoreline Dr.), and directing people around the event.This is a fundraiser for a great non-profit that helps local families and will feature the 5k, yoga, massages, live music, food truck and more. Please let us know if you can give us a couple hours while helping in the sunshine (fingers crossed!) at beautiful Leadbetter Beach. The event runs from 9:30am - 1pm. To sign up please email Rebekah Dillon at email@example.com or go straight to our online sign up page here.