Commencement will take place during the weekend of June 17-18, 2017.
STEP 1: DECLARE CANDIDACY FOR OFFICIAL DEGREE
In order to officially graduate, students must declare candidacy on GOLD even if they are not planning to participate in a commencement ceremony. Refer to the Graduation tab on GOLD. The following deadlines apply:
First day to declare candidacy:
Monday, February 22, 2016
Last day to declare candidacy:
Monday, October 10, 2016
For more information, refer to the Office of the Registrar (http://registrar.sa.ucsb.edu/candidacy.aspx). Detailed information on the entire graduation process (declaring candidacy, completing degree requirements, degree audit and evaluation, diplomas, undergraduate honors, etc.) can be found at http://registrar.sa.ucsb.edu/gradinfo.aspx.
STEP 2: MAKE A COMMENCEMENT RESERVATION
In order to participate in a commencement ceremony, students must reserve a spot. Seniors with at least 164 units completed or in progress during the winter 2017 quarter are eligible to make a reservation for a spring commencement ceremony on GOLD*. (If you have not met the 164 unit requirement, see the Petitioning section below.)
*DO NOT MAKE ANY PLANS BASED ON A PARTICULAR CEREMONY UNTIL YOU HAVE A CONFIRMED RESERVATION ON GOLD.
Seniors with fewer than 164 units that intend to participate in a spring 2017 commencement ceremony must file a petition with the Office of Student Life (2260 Student Resource Bldg; (805) 893-4569) during the month of May 2017 (dates TBA).
REGALIA (CAP AND GOWN) & ANNOUNCEMENTS
The UCSB Bookstore (www.bookstore.ucsb.edu) will open a Commencement Graduation Center during spring quarter 2017 where specific information on regalia, announcements, class rings, diploma frames and related items may be obtained. Grad Packs will be available online for purchase and caps and gowns will be available individually for purchase in the bookstore.
STAGE PASS DISTRIBUTION
All seniors who have declared candidacy and reserved a spot in their designated ceremony will need to pick up their Stage Pass for Commencement. This stage pass is the student's ticket in to their ceremony - without it, they will not be permitted to cross the stage.
- Stage passes are available for pickup from Monday, June 12, 2017 through Friday, June 16, 2017 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day in the University Center Lobby.
- If you cannot pick up your stage pass during finals week, they will be available for pickup outside the Event Center (Thunderdome) before each Commencement ceremony. Please note: We HIGHLY recoommend picking up your stage pass during finals week as lines tend to be long at distribution tables during Commencement weekend.
COMMENCEMENT REMINDERS & RESOURCES
For more information and FAQ, please use the following resources:
- There is information about parking, accessibility and FAQ about Commencement on the UCSB Commencement website.
- Tickets are NOT required to attend. Guests do not need to reserve seating. Seats are on a first-come basis. However, we request that undergraduate students invite no more than six guests.
- On the day of your Commencement ceremony, students must report to the Event Center (Thunderdome) with their cap and gown AND stage pass ONE HOUR before their ceremony is to begin. No guests are allowed inside the Events Center.
- Alcohol is prohibited and will be confiscated at the door. Volunteers will be inside the Event Center (Thunderdome) to assist with putting on caps and gowns. Students may assemble and walk with friends. Any items left behind in the ECen may be reclaimed at the Commencement Information Tent Lost & Found.
Commencement Website www.ia.ucsb.edu/commencement/
Commencement Hotline (805) 893-8289
Commencement E-mail Hotline email@example.com